Talbos ng Kamote or a Sweet Potato Tops is one of those vegetables I planted in our backyard during my childhood, but I never eat them all the time for some reasons. It is easily grown and does not require special maintenance or fertilizers to grow and is a good alternative to rice.
These green leafy tops have the highest content of total polyphenolic, among other commercial vegetables studied. It has excellent source of anti-oxidative compounds mainly, polyphenolic which protects the human body from oxidative stress associated with many diseases, including cancer and cardio vascular diseases. It is a good source of protein, minerals, dietary fiber and nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorous, sulfur, iron and zinc.
Listed below are some Health Benefits of Talbos ng Kamote:
- Diabetes treatment
- Promotes good health
- Lowers blood sugar and cholesterol
- Regulates good bowel movements
- Destroys bacteria and inhibit fungi
Here’s how to make Talbos ng Kamote a Healthy drink:
You will need:
- 2 cups of talbos ng kamote
- 6 pieces kalamansi fruit
- 6 table spoon of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Clean the talbos ng kamote
- Put the talbos ng kamote in 2 cups of water.
- Boil for 10-15 minutes and the water will turn green.
- Add the calamansi and stir with the water as it turn pink.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Drink and enjoy the juice!
I am an anemic person, so my doctor suggested to eat food that are rich in iron such as liver steak and leafy vegetables including talbos ng kamote. So I made it a habit to add talbos ng kamote in my diet.
Camote Tops as Dengue Cure
In conjunction with the positive benefits of talbos ng kamote, did you know that it was said that it can as well treat dengue fever? A disease considered as one of the dangerous tropical diseases caused by dengue virus that plagued so many children and adults.
Dengue Fever Symptoms
- Fever may go up to 39-40 degree Celsius.
- Fever lasts for 1-7 days then fades away for 1-2 days.
- Chills, headache, severe muscle and joint pains.
- Noticeable red and white patchy rashes on the skin.
- Bleeding of gums, severe pain behind the eyes, and red palm and soles.
According to research, camote tops can counter attack the downfall of platelet count of anyone hit by dengue fever. The body’s immune system is thus revived, making dengue become helpless against the body’s natural defenses. With the help of camote tops, the body enables to heal itself. So, there’s no excuse in saving one from dengue, because the cure is just around us.
Here are some procedures in preparing Camote tops Juice in treating dengue fever:
- Get a bundle of Camote Tops.
- Cut it for about 12 inches and wash it to take out the soil and other dirt particles.
- Boil the Camote tops for at least 5 minutes.
- Add a little salt to flavor or a sugar to make it easier to drink.
- Let the patient drink slowly and gradually.
Tone up the health of your family against dengue by drinking Camote Tops Juice!