Should I start with the fact that guava is not just a fruit? Or should I say its fruit and leaves have many nutrient contents and great benefits as well? In this article, you’ll definitely find out some various effects of guava in our health, that most people not aware of. In the Philippines, guava is also known as Bayabas.
Guava or Bayabas is a remarkable plant. It is primarily known for its edible fruit that is used for many culinary purposes. It is widely used in the Philippines as herbal medicine and is recognized by the Department of Health for its antiseptic property. It is known for being rich in Vitamin A and C. It as well helps in controlling diabetes and its lycopene reduces the risks of cancer. Most of us might be aware of the benefits of guava, but the leaves and its benefits cannot just be ignored.
The leaf of Guava, like many other herbs has an amazing qualities and can be used for amazing things. Fresh guava leaves can be used to relieve pain in toothaches and wounds. Fresh Guava leaves can be chewed for the treatment of toothache and gum swelling. The concoction of leaves can be used to clean wounds as well as in diarrhea treatment. Just mix with water and boil for a few minutes, then strain to make a medicine for diarrhea.
Guava leaves can be use as Antiseptic and astringent. Here’s how:
- Collect fresh guava leaves then wash with water.
- Boil a cup of guava leaves in 3 cups of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool.
These can be used as mouthwash, as vaginal wash best for women who just gave birth and a wound disinfectant. For wounds, it is recommended to wash with guava.
Below are some brilliant benefits of guava and its leaves:
- Treats Diabetes. Guava leaves can decrease the level of glucose in the blood without altering insulin levels.
- Treat cough and cold. It can break up mucus and loosen your cough and help you overcome your symptoms faster as well. Guava contains Vitamin C and iron which are proven to be preventive against cold and viral infections.
- Prevents Constipation. Guava is rich in dietary fiber. It has been said that a single constipation can lead to several ailments. Each of us should goes through proper digestion and proper excretion. That’s how guava will help.
- Treats Diarrhea. Caused by toxins produced by gems that colonize on the lining of the intestinal tract. Consuming guava juice will prevent the gems from producing toxins that cause diarrhea.
- Reduces High Blood Pressure. Such food stuff which is lack in fiber adding blood pressure, due to its quick conversion to sugar. Guava juice being rich in fiber is recommended to consume to reduce high blood pressure.
- Weight Loss. Guava is rich in roughage, vitamins, proteins and minerals. However, it contains no cholesterol and less digestible carbohydrates that are good for people who want to lose weight. Having a piece of medium sized for lunch will feel you full until evening. Guava leaves can also aid in losing weight by stopping starch from changing into sugar.
- Anti-aging properties. Guava leaves can aid in preventing aging and decreasing the risk of age associated with disease such as heart disease, cancer, alzheimer’s disease, osteoarthritis and muscular degeneration.
- Cures Allergies. It contains anti-allergic properties and works by preventing discharge of histamine.
- Skin Care. Guava help in improving your skin texture and avoid skin problems more than the best beauty creams can do. A decoction of guava leaves can be applied to the skin to lose tones on your body and face. It has anti-oxidant properties which reduces the sign of skin aging and wrinkles.
- Promotes Health Condition. Guava leaves can help eliminate waste in the body and promotes kidney health. Drinking guava juice leads to lower blood pressure and promotes healthy heart.
Steps in preparing Guava juice:
- Wash the guava. Peel and remove the seeds.
- Cut the flesh into tiny pieces.
- Add a little water to the blender and grind until it becomes liquid.
- Put the strainer over the pitcher.
- Pour in the guava mixture about a cup at a time and let it strain through.
- Put the guava juice in the refrigerator. Best serve when chilled.
Try it now and enjoy the amazing health benefits of guava or bayabas!