Oregano, famous for Filipinos for curing cough, are natural species we use in our kitchen and in fact herbal medicine too. It is a perennial herb growing from 20-80 cm tall particularly used widely in Greek and Italian cuisines. Its leaves have an aromatic, warm and slightly bitter taste. Although it is usually thought of as a culinary herb, it has also been used medicinally for thousands of years now.
In the Philippines, it is widely used as herbal medicine as it contains rosmarinic acid compound which serves oregano an anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which has been proven to treat infections of the reproductive tracts, and ideally for women who have just given birth. With the anti-oxidant properties, oregano helps fight free radicals in the body which causes cellular damage and accelerate aging.
The leaf of this herbal plant is considered the most useful part. It can be juice to treat common ailments such as cough, rheumatism, asthma, bronchitis and dyspepsia. Ear aches can also be cure by the infusion prepared from its leaves.
9 Benefits of Oregano Leaves:
- Heals wounds, stings and insect bites.
- Treatment of urinary tract problems.
- It has anti-aging properties.
- It helps prevent degenerative arthritis.
- Relieve asthma and bronchitis.
- Relieve cough, cold and sore throat.
- Relieve indigestion.
- For general good health.
- Sleeping problem remedy.
Oregano Leaves Preparation and Uses:
- Get a handful of oregano leaves that can give at least a tablespoon of its juice.
- Wash the leaves with water to free them from dirt.
- Boil it in a cup of water for 15 minutes.
- Remove the water then extract the juice by squeezing the leaves with fingers.
- Put the extracted juice in a clean cloth and give it a final squeeze, so that the dirt and tiny pieces of leaves will remain in the cloth.
- Put the juice in a tablespoon and have a sugar ready to compete with the not so good taste of the juice.
- For common colds treatment, drink half a cup three times daily.
- For sore throat treatment, take two tablespoonful 2 hours before or after meal.
- For degenerative arthritis prevention and good health, take a decoction of oregano daily.
Having upset stomach, try oregano leaves! It is proven to calm the upset stomach and aid digestion, by promoting the secretion of digestive juices. For the ladies, if you are suffering from your menstrual period, and sometimes comes along with migraine? Oregano concoction will help you manage pain as well as in tooth ache. From oral application of oregano juice, teeth and gums could get a great benefit as the bacteria forming plaque and cause gum disease destroys.
In addition, being rich source of Vitamin A and carotene, oregano helps maintain a healthy skin as it prevents skin against acne, whiteheads and pimples.
You may also find that regular consumption of Oregano will help you combat some common ailments associated with different health problems. Try it now!